QuickBooks users report various technical issues that are categorized into different segments. In this post, we will discuss QuickBooks error 12031, which is an update issue in the program. This error occurs when updating the payroll service in QuickBooks or the QuickBooks application itself. Network timeout is the most common reason that causes this error to take place. However, some other factors can also be held responsible for promoting error 12031 in QuickBooks. Here, we will discuss the common reasons for the error and their corresponding solutions. So, let’s start the troubleshooting.
QuickBooks Error Message 12031 Description
Like other error codes from the series 12XXX, QuickBooks error code 12031 also indicates an error related to the QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll service update. The error code shows up coupled with an error message with the text:
“Error 12031: A network timeout that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.”
In addition to this message, the warning text also suggests users check their Internet connection setup in QuickBooks. According to the text, you need to verify that your connection is configured to use your computer’s Internet connection. It is crucial for downloading the latest updates for the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Why Do Users Get QuickBooks Update Error 12031?
In the previous section, we have seen that improperly configured Internet connection settings are a possible reason behind the error 12031 in QuickBooks. However, there are more factors in this list you need to know:
- Internet Explorer is Intuit’s favored web browser, and if you haven’t configured it as your default browser, the error can take place while updating the program.
- Make sure that your antivirus application and Firewall settings are configured properly. If not, they can block the QuickBooks connection, thereby causing the update error.
- Also, incorrect or faulty SSL settings are also one of the potential reasons behind the QuickBooks update error 12031.
- The connectivity problem is also an apparent reason that can interfere with the QuickBooks Desktop payroll service update.
Some Basic Considerations Before Implementing Technical Troubleshooting
Error troubleshooting can be a difficult process. However, when you check a few important pointers before moving ahead, the process will be simplified for you. You need to check your system requirements and confirm that the Internet connection is stable. Also, check if you are running the latest version of the QuickBooks application on your machine.
Moreover, you need to ensure that data remains safe during the procedure. Therefore, create a backup of your QuickBooks data file to keep it safe. Furthermore, update Windows OS to the latest release and check its compatibility with the QuickBooks application. These are some crucial points you need to ensure before moving ahead.
Note: You can create a backup of the company file by navigating to the File menu in QuickBooks and selecting the Backup Company option. After this, follow the on-screen instructions carefully to get this crucial task accomplished.
How Can I Overcome The Error 12031 in QuickBooks?
We can now follow the troubleshooting procedures after considering the pointers discussed in the previous section.
Solution 1: Bring QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool To Use
QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool can identify and resolve the connection issues in the QuickBooks application. Below is how you can put this tool to use:
- In the first place, you need to download the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool.
- Once downloaded, open the downloaded file and perform the on-screen prompts carefully to install the tool.
- After installing the tool, it is ready to use. You can open it and move to the test connectivity section.
- Here, click on the Browse option in front of the Company file to open the file that needs to be diagnosed for connection.
- After opening the file, click on the Test Connectivity option.
- Finally, you will now see that the repair process is initiated. Wait until the process completes and check if the QuickBooks error 12031 is fixed or not.
Solution 2: Setup Your Internet Connection Settings in QuickBooks Desktop
The next procedure is also about the Internet connection. This is the primary reason behind the error and needs to be resolved in the first place. Follow the below-listed steps to establish the connection for QuickBooks:
- After opening the QuickBooks desktop application, go to the Help option to move ahead.
- Thereafter, locate and select the Internet Connection setup option.
- You now have to choose the option “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.”
- After setting up the Internet Connection settings, click the Next button.
- Finally, click Done, and it will fix the connectivity in QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Reset QuickBooks Desktop Updates
Resetting QuickBooks Desktop updates is an effective way to fix the update error in the QuickBooks application and to complete it:
- Open QuickBooks and select the Update QuickBooks option located underneath the Help tab.
- Next, hit the Reset Updates followed by clicking on Get Updates.
This procedure will download the latest updates automatically when they are available. Make sure that your Internet connection is intact, and try updating the QuickBooks payroll service after completing this procedure.
Solution 4: Use Windows Safe Mode For Running The QuickBooks Updates
Windows Safe Mode prevents the third-party applications running in the background from interfering with the QuickBooks update process. Only specific programs can run when this mode is enabled. Therefore, you can complete the update process without getting the QuickBooks error 12031. After accomplishing this procedure, you can check the status of the error.
QuickBooks error code 12031 is an annoying problem in the program that can stop users from downloading the latest updates for the QuickBooks Desktop application. Besides, it also prevents the users from accessing the improved features of the program. However, the solutions explained in this post can effectively eliminate the QuickBooks error 12031. If you need more help on this matter, feel free to connect to the experienced professionals.